Normally I would try and squeeze these status updates into 160 characters but today i compelled to write more. This is because last night was a bit of a nervous time.
As you may or may not have read but I was attempting my first brew containing fruit. I had already dubbed this Finnish Imperial Stout as it was to be a play on Guinness and blackcurrant containing hand picked, with my own fair hand, Finnish blackcurrants. I thought since this was an experimental brew that I would also try and push my previously achieved alcohol strengths and aimed for around 7%, hence the “Imperial”. So I cobbled together a recipe, mostly incorporating grains/hops which I had in the pantry, and set out to achieve this beer.
So back to nervous moments of last night. The beer had been fermenting for over two weeks and was ready for transferring to the bottling barrel. This was the nerving part, as I’ve done this meany times in the past. Once i transferred the beer I took a sample to measure the gravity. From the reading I took I found out that I should have achieved a strength of 6.8% which I am extremely happy with.
And then it was time to taste it … it had turned out exactly as I had hoped. There may have been additional sweetness due to the priming sugar but it was very pleasant. A nice stout base, not too intense with the roasted barley, and a subtle aftertaste of the Finnish blackcurrants.
All in all I feel this experiment was a success … so far. Now I have my most difficult part of homebrewing, leaving the beer to condition. I look forward to trying the beer again once it conditions but in my opinion everything seems to be pointing to a pretty decent beer.